Thursday 24 May 2012

My creative Journey as Floral & Event Designer

I am often asked what I do for a living, and although I have labeled myself as a "floral and event designer/stylist" it still usually raises many eyebrows.

I suppose it is hard for me to box my self into a one liner – as I have had quite a diverse background and a career that has spanned over 10 year’s working in the events and entertainment industry. My experience is broad ranging from sourcing and styling unusual furniture and pieces and fashion for shoots, to designing and creating wedding flowers and event styling to production including building sets and lighting and even managing a props company.  During the last five year’s I have really tailored my unique skill set and passions into how I like to express it– “combining nature and design”

To create and inspire is really at the heart of everything I do, that and a love of helping people. I grew up in an extremely creative environment, and from my earliest memories was surrounded by art and nature. As my father was a painter and sculptor and runs Living Colour Landscapes with my mother, who is an Interior Designer, later becoming an Architect. My sister Mia has also gone on to become a successful artist. Really what choice did I have but to pursue my own creative path!

I began my studies at Enmore Design Centre in 1999, Design Fundamentals, entry was gained by portfolio – 1000 potentials applied and 100 got in – I was one of the lucky ones! That lasted for 1 x year, I then went on to obtain a Diploma in Events & Entertainment Design, another 2 year’s of an incredibly demanding and hands on course, with subjects ranging from costume design to set design to event management and film. Everything we designed had to be built, often without much financial resources and to the strain of my family.

My first real break was when I landed a job at one of Sydney’s longest running props company, this was a great place to further explore my creativity and develop a real understanding of the diverse nature of this relatively new industry called Events. I was thrown in the deep end, assistant to the event producer and creative director where I learnt very quickly what was required of me in this very fast paced and often demanding events and entertainment world, luckily I swam and did not sink.

From there I landed my next big role as a stylist working on large corporate events and weddings in remote locations in the beautiful Far North Queensland – Port Douglas. This was an amazing experience and this is really where the highlight moment began, as I started working with the natural resources of the land, where wild gingers would grow, including huge fan palm leaves and vines, which we’re all turned into the themeing of the event, from chandeliers to table settings and chair adornments, it was hugely inspiring. I had found my calling – Yes I was a stylist but I was also creating living works of art, which over the years has propelled me into being a fully fledged floral designer, wedding and event stylist.
When I arrived back in Sydney I had a dream – to open my own studio, specializing in weddings and events, as I really felt like there was no one else with a specific combined skill set like mine, someone that not only had the vision to transform spaces but who also thrives on the attention to details. This was my calling……Working on weddings in particular are the most rewarding part of my job, it’s such a personal journey that you take with a couple (the bride to be and groom to be) who invite you into their world, to help them create the most beautiful and unique experience for their once in a life time special day, that produces happy memories long after the actual I do’s are over.

Here’s a quote and some pics from one of our most recent celebrity weddings by Charlotte Gregg who tied the knot to Wes Carr in a beautiful secret location on Sydney’s harbour foreshore.

Hi Alex!

Honestly amazing job. Above and beyond, it looked incredible!!!! Everyone commented on the flowers, it was the most glorious bouquet I’ve ever laid eyes on and your detail in the marquee was exquisite!

So many thanks for such a creative and unique job, thank you so much!! Xxxx

Charlotte Gregg and Wes Carr

I feel very blessed by all my client's beautiful feed back. I love what I do and it obviously translates.....



No comments:

Post a Comment